Juventus striker Gonzalo Higuain was delighted to notch his first hat-trick for the Old Lady during Sunday's 7-0 thumping of Sassuolo in the Serie A. The 30-year-old has not had the best of times with the Serie A holders this term, and he managed to put in a clinical performance against relegation-threatened Sassuolo.
Juventus manager Max Allegri has confirmed that defender Giorgio Chiellini was suffering from muscular fatigue during the tail-end of the club’s goalless draw versus SPAL on Saturday. As a result, the 33-year-old has been deemed doubtful for Italy’s upcoming international friendlies against Argentina and England this month.
Speaking after the SPAL, Allegri confirmed the injury which saw Chiellini substituted nine minutes from time, he said: “Chiellini has muscular fatigue, but at the moment we don't have any more on that. It's only human that when you are top of the Serie A table, in the Champions League quarterfinals and the Coppa Italia final, you can miss a beat and lack energy once in a while."
With just three games to go in the Serie A season, Juventus look on course to lift yet another title and have a four-point lead going into the final games. With two winnable home fixtures, their trip to Roma may not count and the title really is theirs to lose based on what is left to come for them. Napoli have tried and pushed them hard, but unless we see a big shock in Italy, the 2018 Serie A title will be heading to Juventus.
Napoli had hopes of a title win just a couple of weeks ago, thanks to a dramatic 1-0 victory against Juventus. Napoli knew a win that day would put them back in the running, but left it until the last minute to score the vital winner. However, they were unable to build on that and lost their next game against Fiorentina, giving Juventus the advantage back. A big victory for the Old Lady over Inter Milan restored their four-point lead at the top of Serie A, and that is how we stand now with three league games to go.
Juventus left-back Alex Sandro has stressed that he is only focused on his job with the club despite the continuous speculation over his future. The Brazil international has been heavily tipped for a Premier League move over the past 12 months, and he has suggested that he could stay put with the Old Lady for the duration of his contract.
Max Allegri's side allowed an early two-goal lead slip on Tuesday night as they settled for a 2-2 draw versus Tottenham Hotspur in the Champions League round of 16 first-leg, but Sandro remains optimistic that the club will get the job done in the return fixture at the Wembley Stadium, he said: "The draw against Tottenham was not a negative result: we played a great game and so did our opponents. In the Champions League, the games are always difficult and we have to go to London with the intention to win."
Former Chelsea and AC Milan manager Carlo Ancelotti has certainly ruled out the possibility of taking over at the Italian national team. Italy went through a horrendous World Cup qualifying campaign that led to the national team missing out on the place in the 2018 finals. It is the biggest disappointment for Italy in recent times and this quickly led to the departure of Giampiero Ventura. Since then, a number of names have been linked with the vacant managerial role at the Italy. The likes of Fabio Capello, Antonio Conte, and Massimiliano Allegri have been spoken of as potential replacements.
In the last couple of weeks, however, the biggest development happens to be the availability of Carlo Ancelotti, who has been sacked from Bayern Munich after a string of poor results. Ancelotti is one of the most successful Italian managers of recent generations. Apart from achieving a lot of success in Italy with AC Milan, he has also proved himself as one of the top managers in the world by winning titles in England, Spain, France, and Germany. He has coached the biggest clubs in the world like Chelsea, Bayern Munich, PSG, Real Madrid, and AC Milan. Due to his availability, Ancelotti has been spoken of as a potential candidate, but the 58-year-old claims that he wants to be in club football for the time being.
Juventus head coach Max Allegri has insisted that the club can no longer their Serie A title for granted following a 2-1 home defeat to Lazio. Ciro Immobile struck twice for the Capital outfit on Saturday as they condemned the Italian champions to their first defeat at the Allianz Arena in 57 matches across all competitions.
The streak could have been preserved for another game, but Paulo Dybala failed to convert a penalty kick in the 97th minute, which happened to be his second failure in as many games following his miss in the 2-2 draw versus Atalanta.
Juventus manager Massimiliano Allegri has insisted that the decision to drop Gonzalo Higuain to the bench for the Turin derby was purely to give him a rest.
The Old Lady maintained their perfect start to the Serie A campaign as they brushed aside city rivals Torino by a comfortable 4-0 score.
Speaking after the game, Allegri thanked Mandzukic for stepping up in Higuain's absence whilst insisting that the rest would benefit that the latter in the long run, he said: "Higuain was on the bench because there are many games and I preferred to give him a rest. He’s an important player for us, there are moments when things work better at one time than another. There will be times when everyone gets time out, otherwise we won’t be able to maintain our consistency."
Italian football is not generally recognized to be one of the most attractive or entertaining competitions to watch. La Liga and the English Premier League are the ones that are regularly highly-rated with supposedly better and more talented performers.
The last time that an Italian club won the UEFA Champions League was 7 years ago back in 2010 when Inter Milan emerged as the champions of Europe and the Italian national football team has also been struggling in the international scene.
If the summer transfer window was a recent barometer of trust, then when the winter version opens in January, huge fees will be spent in fits of panic by clubs desperate for immediate success.
It is plainly obvious that Barcelona for example, have vast sums of money to spend following Neymar's decision to swap Catalonia for Paris for a world record transfer fee.
The following figures that Barcelona then paid for Ousmane Dembele from Borussia Dortmund and the reputed fees banded around in the media suggesting what the Catalan outfit were prepared to pay for the recruitment of Liverpool's Phillipe Coutinho, ultimately turned into acts of desperation.
Lazio manager Simone Inzaghi claims that striker Ciro Immobile is starting to display his all-round talent in the game.
The 27-year-old came to the club from Sevilla just around a year ago for only around € 8.7 million. However, he came in with a spectacular 23 goals in his first season at the club. At the start of the 2017-18 campaign, he has been able to improve even more. He has been able to score 12 goals in all competitions already. And it has helped Lazio make significant progress in the league table.